Gui’de County (贵德县) also known as Trika in Tibetan is one of the lowest county in Qinghai Province. The elevation of Gui’de is 2200m / 7218ft. It is under the administration of Hainan Tibetan Prefecture. Geographically, it is located on the bank of Yellow River about 100 km southwest of Xining, the capital city of Qinghai Province and 150km southeast of Qinghai Lake south shore.
Though Gui’de is typical Chinese built town with concrete buildings and busy markets, but you can always find some unique sites in the town. Some of the important places travelers should visit.
1. Jokhang Temple is 2km east of Gui’de town. As the name indicates, it is a temple of Jowo Shakyamuni which was originally built in 13th century by Sakya Pandita. The temple is a copy of famous Jokhang Temple in Lhasa. There is also King Gesar’s cultural site next to Jokhang Temple.
2. Minyak Chorten, historical site which consists of series of stupa. Formerly it was the most important site in Gui’de county which was founded in 9th century. Unfortunately, the original complex didn’t survive in cultural revolution. But the new replica was subsequently constructed in 1989-1990.
3. The Wetland is about 5km before Gui’de on the road from Xining. It is worth to stop by for a photo.
4. Giant Prayer Wheel is also a good spot to stop by, though entrance ticket is quite pricy. I recommend to have a look from distance without going inside the entrance gate.
5. If you are staying overnight in Gui’de, a pleasant walk on the Old Yellow River bridge can be made during the sunset .
There are regular buses from Xining to Gui’de every hour with cost of 26 CNY. First bus departs at 7:45 am and last one at 5:40 pm. All the buses depart from Nanchuan Xilu Bus Station (南川西路客运站) in Xining.
Tours including Gui’de